Tuesday, November 20, 2012

To my future self

Picture by Ken Roosenberg

I recently read an article from a blog that I follow, that suggested that each of us should write a letter to our future self.  I thought at first that the idea was a bit crazy, but the thought kept coming back to me so I decided to give it a try.  It wasn't long until I was writing as fast as I could.  The thoughts and ideas of my life reflections just kept flowing.  So I am suggesting that all of you give it a try, but I suggest one more step.  After doing this, spend some time talking to God and thanking him for your full life.  
            Below is my letter to my future self in the year 2020.  I hope it gets you thinking too.
           
To my future self, Ken 2020

Hi Ken,
            Well, it’s currently Thanksgiving week in 2012 and by now it should be that time of year in 2020.  I hope you are still around to read this letter, but after all, none of us knows if we will even be around tomorrow.  God never makes any promises about that, so hopefully you have learned to live life in the moment and cherish each and every day as if it were your last.  You have said many times that you wish we could all learn that from the Swazi people.  They only worry about today, because they know God took care of them yesterday, and they know he will take care of them today, and tomorrow, and so on.

            Hopefully your parents are still living and in good health, but I know that would make them 91-92 years old.  That may not be the case.  If one or both of them are gone I know that you miss them a lot but I am sure God helped you during this difficult time.  You will always feel a void when they are gone, but I know you are so grateful to them for making you the person that you are today.  You were very lucky to have such great parents and you owe your strong Christian foundation to both of them.

            So you turn 67 this year.  That just doesn’t seem possible.  I know it sounds cliché, but where did time go?  It seems like such a short time ago that you were looking up the aisle of the church, anxiously and nervously waiting for your beautiful bride Janine, to come through those doors at the back of the church.  Do you still remember that feeling like I do?  Do you remember the tears of joy flowing down your cheeks like a never-ending river?  Does your memory still allow you to repeat the vows that you both memorized to say to each other?  I still remember them, but I am only 59 years old.  You’re an old fart of 67!  Sorry, I had to just put in that little dig.  I know each year we have more aches and pains, but hopefully you and Janine are still in good health.  I hope you are spending quality time together and still following God’s plan for your life together.  I also hope that you have continued to tell her what a wonderful mother she has been to your children.

            As I write this you will soon be celebrating 40 years of marriage in 2013.  How did that go?  Did you take time to do the special things that you thought about or did you let time slip away and forget to do them?  I hope you didn’t let this opportunity slip away.  You two have a special bond and a relationship that few get to experience.  I hope you showed her just how important this marriage has been and will continue to be for all of your lives.  Not many men can say that they are married to the best mother, the best wife, the best lover, and most importantly your best friend in life.  You, my friend, have truly been blessed by God in this marriage!

            Speaking of your special lives together, how are the kids and grand-kids?  I hope life has been kind to all of them.  I hope both Kim and Jeff and Mark and Sarah have continued their great lives together.  I hope you have told all four of them how proud you are of them as individuals and as couples.  They are all great parents.  I know you and Janine have worried a lot about them over the years and their walk with the Lord.  Remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:25-27 and then verse 34.  Here they are;

25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.

            Some things you just need to leave in God’s hands and trust him that he will take care of them.  Anyway I am sure they are all fine.  Wow, I just thought of something.  Rachel will be 16 this year!  Annabelle and Maggie will be 15, and Collin will be 12.  That is enough to knock you on your butt isn’t it?  The three girls would be old enough now.  Have you been able to convince them and their parents to let them go on a mission trip with you and Janine?  You know it would be one of the best experiences in their lives.  Hopefully that has happened, but if not, don’t give up!  Life-changing experiences are few and far between.  They’ll thank you for it later.

            I know you have been feeling called to do more and more for the people of Swaziland.  I hope God is using you to the fullest.  I know you struggle with when is doing enough, enough.  I hope you and Janine as well as New Hope Church have continued to build relationships in Swaziland.  You just never know when one of those people or families that you have helped, will turn out to be some of those who changed the course of Swaziland for the better.  Maybe if you are retired now, you two could spend a few months at a time there, helping to make a difference on the ground.  I hope both of your health permits that.  If not I am sure that God will show you other ways to make that difference.

            Here is one last thing about Swaziland.  I hope you two, as well as New Hope Church and AIM keep one thing as a priority in everything that you do there.  Always remember that it is all about teaching them to take care of themselves, how to support themselves, and about sharing the love of Christ with them so they too can pass this on to their children and grandchildren.

            Here are two very important lessons from the year 2012 that I hope you remembered.  Remember the classes that Becky Bruckner taught on the Spiritual Disciplines?  Even though you were disappointed in yourself that you did not dig into this deep enough and long enough at the time of the classes, I hope you realize that this is what your walk with the Lord is all about.  Finally after all of your 59 years of life, someone taught you what is really necessary to build your bond, your friendship, and relationship with Jesus.  Thanks be to God, for leading Becky to teach this to you and Janine.  I hope it truly has made a difference and that the two of you are practicing these important disciplines both together and individually for it will strengthen your walk with the Lord.  The other important thing was the class that Becky Bruckner taught on spiritual warfare.  Don’t ever forget (Satan wouldn’t let you anyway), that the closer your walk comes with God, the more Satan will attack you.  When this happens, call on Jesus for help and he will provide you with the full armor of God. 

            Well, that’s it for now from 2020.  I know that God has given you and Janine a full and wonderful life up until now and I am sure that will continue throughout your life.  I know you two have been blessed with the best kids and their great spouses, and four awesome grandchildren, all of whom you are both very, very proud.  We all want to live a long and healthy life, but I know if today was your last day, that you are at peace with it all and confident in your walk with the Lord.  Don’t get me wrong, I know that you will always have more work to do between you and God, but I am happy with where you are with him in 2012 and I can only assume that your relationship has continued to flourish. 

God bless you and your family,

Ken Roosenberg of 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment