Sunday, November 14, 2010

Somandla's story and the miracle of the Holy Spirit

Picture by Bgrace
Somandla’s story

On Wednesday October 6th we did an in home visit where the three children were living in the home, but have no parents left alive. Their father died for AIDS several years ago, and the mother was killed earlier this year by a drunk driver while she was walking home that day. The Children are a boy that is 16, and two girls that are 14 and 12 years old.

As we got to the home we were invited to come inside which was unusual as most Swazi’s do not let strangers in. Little did I know that this was just the beginning of an unusual visit for me. As I waited to go inside some of the rest of our group had started to take off their shoes before entering. As I got to the door, Scott Borg from AIM said that it would not be necessary. I did it anyway, but for a different reason. As I was about to enter, I know I actually felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in that home. I have never, ever felt as close to Jesus as I did at that moment.

As we all took our seats in the room, Pastor Walter introduced us to the children. He also introduced us to their cousin who had just moved in with them and she was doing the cooking for the family. He took the time to ask each of the children about their school work. All three of them are excellent students. I felt myself instantly drawn to the boy who is named Somandla. Somandla’s grades the previous year and put him at the top of his class and entitled him to go this year to one of the best schools in the country. I was so happy for him, but then my heart sunk! He told us that he was no longer attending school since he had no parents to pay for his schooling and none of the three children have a way to make an income. The government is paying for the girls for the rest of their school years, but they do not do that for boys. They believe that the boy can go out and find a job and try to support the family and pay for his own school. Unlike America where all children are entitled to an education, that is not true in Swaziland. First and second grades are paid for by the government, but all others are not. They have laddered school fees that more expensive as the child moves up in grades. They have to pay these schools fees, book fees, and all students are required to have school uniforms. It is all very costly.

I was dumbfounded! Here is a boy who was at the top of his class and he could not go to school! How could this be? It was not fair! Hadn’t these children suffered enough by losing their parents? Before we left, we all took turns praying for this family, but I still felt this eating me alive! As we left the home and were walking back the path, I asked Pastor Walter how much money was owed for Somandla’s school fees. He pulled out a crumpled up invoice for $2675 Rand that Somandla had given him. I did some quick calculations in my head a determined that was about $385. Just then I remembered that I had four $100 bills folded up in my wallet, hidden behind my driver’s license, that I was saving for a woodworking show in January. Suddenly that woodworking show did not seem so important. I do not know why I had this money with me. I had emptied out my wallet before leaving home, removing all credit cards but one, and everything else I thought. I now believe this was all part of God’s greater plan. I took out the bills, unfolded them, and gave them to Pastor Walter and asked to pay for Somandla’s fees and use any left over for food for the family.

Also as part of this special school that Somandla was attending he had to travel a long distance by walking and then taking a bus. This is very expensive too. Our entire team took up a collection and managed to put together enough money to pay his transportation roughly through January.

I know there are probably thousands of kids in the same situation as far as not having enough money for school. I know I could not do this for everyone, and the solution is not just to throw money at the situation, but I was not doing that. I saw potential in a young man that is the top of his class. Maybe, just maybe, he can be part of the solution in Swaziland.

This day was a day beyond my wildest dreams! As I mentioned earlier, as we gathered inside this modest home, the Holy Spirit was dwelling among us. God touched my heart in a big, big way that day, but he also did so much more than that. He actually reached deep down inside me and touched my soul and I have been forever changed.

Just about two weeks ago I received an update from Scott Borg form AIM. He says and I quote; “Just to let you know you gave the money just in time. It took us about a week to get it all worked out and in that time he was kicked out for non-payment, but he is back in school now. He brought his report card to Pastor Walter and he was the #1 student among 300 students. This was a great investment.”

God, you are an awesome God! Thank you for using me as your instrument to help Somandla. Once again you have blessed me beyond all understanding.


1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story. i know the Holy spirit works in wondrous ways, ways that we would never plan ourselves!

    ReplyDelete