Thursday, April 28, 2011

My path too, is uncertain

Picture by Bgrace

 I have recently started reading an awesome book call "A Hole In Our Gospel", by Richard Sterns, president of World Vision, U.S. If you have not read this, it needs to go on your "to do" list. It is phenomenal, and I have only read the first 50 pages. It will make you really think, and it will make you uncomfortable. 

God got my attention in Swaziland and just like Richard Sterns, God is speaking to me loudly and firmly asking, "Ken, are you willing to be open to my will on your life"? Unconditionally?

Wow! Unconditionally? It's easy to say, "God I have a job to preform, a mortgage to pay, and a  retirement future to fund. I can do a lot of things to further your kingdom here on earth, but unconditionally? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? We have just remodeled our kitchen. We have finally gotten the house to the point where we love it! I have a great workshop. I have found a way to raise funds for Swaziland that could involve many of our New Hope members. Isn't that enough of a challenge for me for now? What more can you expect of me?"

There it is again! That word! Unconditionally! Just like Richard Sterns in his book, I too can feel myself relating to the rich, young man in Matthew chapter 19 verses 16-22. Don't get me wrong. By American standards I am not rich. I am just an average, middle income American, but by Swaziland standards I am filthy rich! I don't want to be like the rich young man that Jesus talked about, who went away sad, because he could not or would not follow Jesus unconditionally.

Jesus expects a lot of each of us. He expected a lot of his disciples. How will I answer him? Will I keep offering up excuses and walk away sad? Wow! I know that he never said following him would be easy, I just didn't realize that it would be this hard at times.

Lord Jesus, I pray that I will keep sorting things out. I pray that I will heed your calling in my life, whatever and wherever that takes me. I ask your help in giving me clarity to understand exactly what you are calling me to do. I pray for your patience as I work to realign my life to your pattern for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment