Sunday, August 21, 2011

What does this head and foot board have to do with Swaziland?


Picture by Ken Roosenberg
God put an awesome idea on my heart for Swaziland. I call it my "Craigslist for Swaziland" project. Look at this head and foot board in the picture above. It was quite used, but in pretty good condition and is all solid wood. It had some scuffs that were easily touched up with Old English furniture polish. This was set out on garbage pick up day by someone in our neighborhood who lives about 2 blocks away. I saw it on the way to work and decided to pick it up and bring it home to try to sell to raise funds for Swaziland. It was a full size, not a queen or king size that many prefer now, but I figured it was worth a try. Again, it took only about 5 minutes to use the touch up on the scuff marks and then I posted it on our local Craigslist. Within two days I had a young couple who were very interested in this item, as they were newly weds and just getting started in life together and were on limited funds. I was able to sell it for $55.00! It was a win-win situation. This item did not go to the landfill in the garbage truck, and it was re-purposed so that someone else will get good use of it, and I had $55.00 to go to our Swaziland fund.
Well I have been doing this now for about 8 months and have raised a little over $5,000 for Swaziland. I have sold other people's discarded materials, as well as Janine and I have gone through our house and looked for items that we no longer use or no longer need. I find this totally amazing. Everyone could do this! We all have items we either no longer need, no longer want, or items that we like but could give them up to be sold to raise funds for the struggling people of Swaziland. 

Come on! Give it a try! You can do it or if you live near Harrisburg and have some items that you would like for me to try and sell, email me at sewnwood@verizon.net and let me know what you have and send pictures if possible.Thanks be to God for putting this idea on my heart and I pray that he will do the same with others. 

Together we can help make a difference. I realize that I cannot fix the problems in Swaziland. I cannot solve the many, many issues there. I can do something though. I am going to steal a line from a Steven Curtis Chapman song. I am "changing the world, one little heart beat at a time". God bless the orphans of Swaziland!

No comments:

Post a Comment